Community organizations and businesses from across St. Joseph partnered together to host Transition Skills Day at Empower U on Thursday, March 28, 2019. Almost 50 students with disabilities from St. Joseph High Schools gathered in this innovative, creative space for a day of fun and learning about possibilities for the future and employment.
Transition Skills Day was designed to empower high school students to prepare and plan for life after high school. Students had the opportunity to learn from others who shared their employment experiences and learn important skills in their journey of finding a job they love.
Colton Rich kicked off the day as the Keynote Speaker. Colton grew up in St. Joseph, MO, and is a senior at the University of Missouri. Colton getting ready to graduate from Mizzou with his bachelor’s degree, and is active in campus life. He lives in Columbia with his wife, where he hopes to stay for grad school! Colton is a proud Youth Leadership Forum alum. He shared his employment journey and tips for students who are thinking about going to work. He gave an inspiring talk!
Workshop sessions included:
- Charting the LifeCourse– Students built a vision for a good life using innovative tools to help people plan goals and supports
- Building Job Skills– Students learned about soft skills and how to prepare for job interviews
- “My First Job” Employment Panel– Students learned about a variety of jobs from successful business owners and employers around St. Joseph
Students also met with organizations, both locally and across the state that help connect people with employment and training at the vendor fair, which featured event partners and sponsors.
We would like to extend a special thanks to all of the amazing volunteers who made this event possible!
A HUGE note of gratitude goes out to our awesome food vendors and sponsors!
Thank you to our Regional Transition Network Partners for your hard work on this event!
We couldn’t have done it without you!
- St, Joseph School District
- United Cerebral Palsy of Northwest Missouri
- Goodwill Industries
- Diversity Placement Services
- Ability KC
- Vocational Rehabilitation
- University of Missouri (Pre-Employment Specialist)
- Albany Regional Office
- Kansas City Regional Office
Transition Skills Day was made possible by