Frequently Asked Questions

Below you will find answers to common questions about Progressive Community Services and the supports we offer. Click on the plus sign next to each question to view the answer.

Support Coordination

What can I expect from my Support Coordinator?

Support Coordinators will build a professional relationship with you and help you work towards your definition of a good life. Support Coordinators will do this in the following ways:

  • Taking the time to get to know you, those who are important to you, and what is important to you.
  • Developing an annual person-centered plan (with you as the central focus and with the team’s input).
  • Linking you to services and supports that can help you reach your goals.
  • Monitoring services that are funded through the Department of Mental Health on a regular basis.
  • Checking in to ensure that needs are being met and to ensure careful planning for the next steps in your life.

What is my Support Coordinator’s role if I (or someone in my family) has waivered services?

The Support Coordinator’s main role is to monitor services that are utilized through the Department of Mental Health (DMH). Support Coordinators have mandated requirements regarding how to monitor, how often, and what areas to monitor. Typically, services are monitored on a monthly or quarterly basis.

Your Support Coordinator will set up time(s) with the person supported and you and your service team, to monitor services, inquire about progress of goals, help resolve issues, and find out if any needs have changed. Support Coordinators document their findings and discussions during monitorings and will follow up on any questions or service issues that arise during a monitoring.

What do I do if I need help resolving an issue or I want to speak to a supervisor?

Our Support Coordinator (SC) Supervisors and SC Manager are available to help resolve conflicts and issues when needed. If you feel that you have not gotten satisfactory communication about an issue, we welcome you to contact your Support Coordinator’s Supervisor.

We also welcome any positive feedback or comments about your supports and our services.  You can speak with the supervisor and/or manager by calling the PCS office at (816) 364-3827 and asking to speak with your Support Coordinator’s supervisor.

You may also reach out directly to a member of our management team by emailing

My Support Coordinator is a mandated reporter. What does this mean?

Support Coordinators are mandated reporters and are required by law to report suspected abuse and neglect concerns. Support Coordinators attend yearly Abuse/Neglect training so that they understand what is considered a reportable concern and the guidelines for reporting.

If a Support Coordinator notes a potential abuse/neglect concern during a visit or monitoring, they will take that concern back to their supervisor, and file a report through the Department of Mental Health (DMH) protocols. Support Coordinators will communicate to the extent that they are able with the team surrounding the person supported, so the team can problem solve and find a solution to address the concerns.

Read more about DMH’s Abuse Neglect regulations here:

How often do I need to speak with my Support Coordinator?

We encourage the Support Coordinators to build a relationship with the people they support. The level of communication between a Support Coordinator and the person supported varies based on the person’s preferences and their level of services.  Some waivered services require monthly visits, while others require quarterly visits.

Your Support Coordinator will work with you to discuss the level of contact based on those things at each annual plan meeting. We encourage you to reach out to your Support Coordinator at anytime if you have questions, concerns or what information to share with them about your life.

HUD Housing

Where do I get an Application?

You may visit our HUD Housing page for more information or download the application here: HUD Housing Pre-Application

What other housing is available to me in Buchanan County?

You can find additional low-income housing at HUD’s Apartment Finder. Just visit this link:

What is included at The Maples and Keystone Place?

All utilities except cable, internet, and laundry are included. Cable and internet are available in common areas and onsite laundry is also available.

Can I have a roommate?

All units are income-based and both individuals’ incomes are considered at the time of move-in. We have a 2-person per bedroom occupancy standard.

Can I live at The Maples and Keystone Place if I have a child?

Yes, it is multi-family housing.

Can I use a Section 8 voucher at The Maples or Keystone Place?

No. Our properties are administered under a different Housing Program. Section 8 housing in Buchanan County can be found at

Am I allowed to have a pet or therapy animal?


Pets require a deposit and must be under 10lbs, over one year old, and up-to-date on vaccines.

Therapy animals must be certified by a doctor’s order, under 10lbs, over one year old, and up-to-date on vaccines.

For service animals, a certification of training for medical service must be presented. It must be properly cared for under City Ordinances.

Family Navigation

What is a developmental disability?

According to the Center for Disease Control, developmental disabilities are “a group of conditions due to an impairment in physical, learning, language, or behavior areas. These conditions begin during the developmental period, may impact day-to-day functioning, and usually last throughout a person’s lifetime.”

You can learn more here:

I think my child may have a developmental disability but I don’t know where to start.

Don’t worry. We can help you navigate the systems and give you the information you need about your next steps.

Can I call on behalf of a family member, student or patient?

Yes, our Family Navigators would be happy to support you to gather resources and information for someone else, if they are unable to do so on their own.

Does it cost to get help from a Family Navigator?

No, this is a community service and there is no cost to receive support.

What age group qualifies?

We work with people and their families in all stages of life.

How are connecting with Family Navigators different than a peer support group?

Family Navigators will combine their lived experience and professional training to help you navigate state, insurance, education systems in addition to providing much-needed peer support.

Some of their certifications include:

• Charting the LifeCourse Ambassadors
• Mentors for Sharing Our Strengths
• Partners in Policymaking
• Certified Lay Educational Advocates
• The National Leadership Institute on Developmental Disabilities

Community Engagement & Education

Can PCS provide information about their services to local educators, business & civic organizations?

We can meet with local educators, employers, and other groups to provide specific information on services and supports. Please contact our Family Navigation Department to discuss meeting arrangements.

Does PCS work with outside speakers that can provide outside resources for families and individuals?

We do bring in speakers from other agencies that can provide awareness training and information on a variety of subjects such as: IEP meetings, abuse and neglect, disability employment, MO ABLE accounts, healthy living, etc.

I recently moved to the St. Joseph community. Can you connect me with local resources?

Our Family Navigators would be happy to talk with you to discuss your concerns and assist you in contacting the necessary agencies or businesses to address your specific needs. Please call our office and speak with one of our Family Navigators.

Can PCS provide information to local schools, businesses, or other organizations on inclusion and accessibility?

We would appreciate the opportunity to share information with any group who would like to learn more about community and workplace inclusion as well as ways to provide accessibility for everyone. Please contact our Family Navigation Department to discuss the details.

Contact Us

Ask a question or get started below.
For emergencies call 911 or visit your nearest hospital.


1620 N Woodbine Rd.,
St Joseph, MO 64506

Contact to Listing Owner

Captcha Code